Tuesday, November 24, 2009

White on White Kitchens

This is the first post I’ve done in many months and I’ve decided to discuss my personal experiences on renovating a home. My husband and I are in a perpetual state of renovations with our house. (This is what happens when a Designer and Contractor unite). Our current project is a complete renovation of our kitchen. This includes changing the current layout from a small U shape to a Galley, converting from electric over to gas for the range, installing all new cabinets, flooring and a backsplash. After looking at many pictures and contemplating what would look best with our existing style, I’ve decided to go with a white on white palette. My husband is not completely onboard with this decision, but after pleading my case, he has decided to go with the flow.

Will a white on white kitchen look too sterile and boring?
In my case I have chosen bright white glossy cabinets, with contrasting opaque white glass doors for the horizontal uppers. By utilizing two different styles of white cabinets, I’m adding visual interest and avoiding a “wall of white” with the cabinets.

3194101731_21480c37dd_o

Remember, having a “white” kitchen doesn’t simply mean ALL white. It can include colours such as Vanilla, Eggshell and Cream. You can also change the look by adding an island in contrasting color, or selecting appliances that are stainless steel or coloured.

Weren’t white kitchens big about 15 years ago? What if it dates itself quickly?
The fact that white kitchens were popular 15 years ago and are popular still today shows the staying power of a neutral palette. A white kitchen is considered “classic” in design and will instantly make your kitchen look light and airy. Darker wood cabinets will add visual weight to your kitchen and more likely to date your look over time.

Okay, you’ve convinced me to have a white kitchen. What are some things to remember when choosing my cabinets, countertops, etc.?

marbletile2001

When you work with a monotone palette, it’s important to select pieces that will add texture. By utilizing two different styles of cabinets and adding a quartz countertop and marble tiles for the backsplash, I’m able to keep my white palette while adding depth and interest to the space.

Next week; Should I utilize upper cabinets or open shelves?

No comments: